The triangle-like shaped device that helps in supporting scaffold plank is basically what is known as ladder jacks. Whenever there’s a need to use two ladders setup parallelly, there’s a need to bring a tool that can help you with maintaining a balance by creating a safe foundation.
The answer to how to use ladder jacks is more than just a straightforward process. You need to understand a bit deeper about what the tool stands for, how you can implement it for usage, and of course, the safety matters associated within it. And today we plan to break down all of these for you. Keep on Reading…
Table Of Content
First Know What Are Ladder Jacks Used For
The main concept of ladder jack scaffold is used for multiple needs where you require something stable enough to hold light loads. This means, not more than two people can occupy the scaffold plank. These are very cheap compared to the overall expense of scaffolding.
Any task where you need to portability but can do without strength, ladder jacks can greatly help. Activities such as building exteriors installation or painting require the use of ladder jacks generally.
Contractors are the ones who usually make use of ladder jacks to enjoy fast dismantling and erection processes. Also, the fact that these can help in narrow areas too makes it, even more, work friendly.
You may like to read: How to Put a Ladder on a Sloped Roof
Everything About Using Ladder Jacks
Setting the ladder jack scaffold is a very serious matter where you can’t make mistakes. Before the working process, you need to ensure a few things. First of all, check the tool very carefully. Is there any noticeable damage? You need to make sure that nothing defective is being used in such a risky situation. Also, ensure that all parts are able to work well. This includes checking the nuts too. These need to be tightly in place.
For the ladder jack platform, if you need any substitute pieces, then go for ones that are free from cracks and bents. Also, make sure the ladder rungs are holding rectangular brackets properly. Especially when using 2 or 3 rung bracket jacks.
The side rail ladder jack brackets also need your attention. Make sure these are tightly secure with the upper round hooks. And the ladder’s side rails should be holding lower brackets. Place it over the rungs after that. You should see adjustable notches at the center. Fix the platform gusset plate onto these notches.
To ensure the platform is level enough, you need to adjust the bracket jack in a way that seems parallel to ground. After securing and leveling the ladder jacks in its place, you can create scaffold plank. Simply place it on both ladder jack’s top part. Then secure them by fastening. And that should be enough.
Bearing on the side rails along with ladder rungs is what ladder jack should be made and designed for. However, in some case, the holding duty is done only by ladder rungs. In that case, the area of bearing needs to be a minimum of 10 inches at every rung.
Also, make sure you are not using separated extension ladders as two ladders by any means. The area where you’ll be working also needs to be free from any tripping and falling hazards.
Pro Tips to Using Ladder Jacks Safely
Maintaining ladder jack safety while working is the key to avoid any sort of unwanted problem. And to help you with that here are some of the most useful tips.
- You should always skip setting ladders anywhere high in traffic. Also, avoid barricade areas.
- In case you are placing the ladder on a slippery surface, use some slip-resistant feet to keep things safe.
- When setting up the planks onto jack bracket supports, there should be at least two workers for this task.
- The planks should never have paints or plasters. Avoid any plank that comes with paint or plaster as well.
- Any platform that is above 6.1 meters isn’t suitable for using a ladder jack scaffolding. So, avoid such situations.
- Sometimes the platform’s center portion becomes extremely dangerous because of overloading. And the main practice that causes such a consequence is bridging scaffold platforms together. You should avoid such ideas at all costs.
- The platforms of ladder jack scaffold need to be at least 30-centimeter-wide to keep things safe and sound.
- If you are working above 3.1 meters, then make sure to get help from a personal fall arrest system. So that you can safeguard yourself in case of any fall hazards.
And that was all about how to use ladder jacks with proper safety guidelines. You should never skip the safe routes even if it takes more time than usual. Such occasions where you need to work quite above the ground often brings disasters and accidents if not taken seriously.
Working on the ground where you don’t have a risk to fall down is never going to be similar to such cases. And so, don’t think about skipping the safety instructions.