A porcelain or acrylic bathtub is a really aesthetical feature of the modern-day bathroom. Besides its functionality, a sparking bathtub adds gorgeousness and aesthetics to your bathroom. However, it can be pretty unpleasant when the bathtub loses its shine and looks ugly.
A bathtub may soon become yellowish or dirty, particularly in hard water regions. Unfortunately, 85% of America is hit by hard water, turning your porcelain bathtub ugly and dull. At this moment, you might want to know how to make a dull bathtub shine.
The good news is you can shine a bathtub easily with a few household items. You can apply baking soda, vinegar, oven cleaner, or shampoo to remove the residual topcoat from the bathtub. You can use these items to clean the bathtub, remove stains, and shine it.
how do I get my dull bathtub to shine again?
The bathtub has become an aesthetical arrangement from a mere function item in the bathroom nowadays. So, when its topcoat becomes dirty and starts looking dull, you may feel frustrated. Thankfully, you can remove the dullness to sparkle the bathtub quickly.
Step 1: Clean the bathtub
No magic will shine on the bathtub instantly. So, you need to follow the conventional method to clean the bathtub first. You can clean the bathtub with baking soda and vinegar mixture. You may use commercial cleaner alternatively.
- Observe the bathtub and turn off the water supply line. It will ensure that water doesn’t come in and ruin the cleaning process.
- Pour in the vinegar and baking soda mixture over the entire surface of the bathtub. You may use vinegar and any sour items for the cleaning process.
- If the bathtub has become too dirty, we recommend using a commercial bathtub cleaner. But be sure that it doesn’t have a strong chemical solvent that can damage the porcelain or acrylic surface.
- You have to wait for a few minutes to permit the cleaner to work with the dirt to soften it. Ideally, you should allow 10 to 20 minutes for the cleaner. It will weaken the chemical bonding of the dirt and residues on the bathtub.
- Then, scrape off the residues with a rough piece of clothing. You shouldn’t use a scrubber on the bathtub since it may cause permanent damage to the porcelain bathtub.
- Finally, open the water supply line and pour in water to properly clean the bathtub.
Step 2: Remove stains from the bathtub
Over time, there might be a few unwanted stains on the bathtub. You must wipe the stains from the topcoat of the tub before you may shine it again. Thankfully, you can prepare the stubborn stain remover at home.
First, extract a grapefruit liquid. Then, sprinkle a few pinches of salt on it. Mix the salt and grapefruit properly. Now, you may apply it to the stain and water for a couple of minutes. The acidity of the grapefruit will weaken the stains.
Alternatively, you may use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Create a thick pest with these two elements and apply it over the stain. You must wait for 30 minutes to allow the paste to dry properly. Then, you can wash off the surface to see the stain gone.
Step 3: Shine the bathtub
By this time, you should be able to clean the bathtub and remove stains from it properly. So, it’s time to see the process of shining your bathtub like a new one. You can restore the magnificent sparkle of the porcelain bathtub with a few household items.
- Start working quickly before the bathtub air drier. Once the bathtub dries, it will become tough for you to bring back the lustrous shine on it.
- Take a piece of clean rag. Then, use it to buff the entire bathtub carefully. If you use an electric buffer, use it in the lowest setting. Also, work slowly so that you don’t damage the bathtub’s surface.
- Finally, you can consider applying car wax on the porcelain surface. It will help the bathtub sparkle like a new car.
You need to work fast because a bathtub may catch stains again if the air dries. Also, it would help if you chose a soft and clean rag to buff the porcelain.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do you polish a bathtub?
You can use rubbing compound with the extra-cut facility to polish a dull bathtub. You can use it to remove paint, stain, and even sand scratches from the acrylic or porcelain bathtub.
- How do I get my yellow tub white again?
You may use 3% hydrogen peroxide over the yellow stains on the bathtub. Wipe it off with a scrubber after 10 to 20 minutes to make it look white again.
It isn’t a pleasant scene when a bathtub turns yellow and looks dull. You will dislike bathing in such a dirty-looking bathtub.
Thankfully, you can make a dull bathtub shine with three easy steps. It follows cleaning, removing stains, and restoring the beautiful white look. Also, you can perform all these three steps with regular household items. So, you don’t need to spend additionally on it.
This is Autem Decker. Main Author of ‘TheHomeDigs‘. You may not find her on the list of top 10 contemporary Canadian interior designers, but everyone who knows her says she was born to be an interior designer.
She makes her plan in her head and draws them in her years-old diary with a note in the corner. The way she plays with color and shape amazes us.
Connect Her On – Twitter