If you’re conscious about hygiene and cleanliness, then you might wonder how often you should change your shower curtain.
It’s probably something that most people don’t even think about, but it’s something that can be a breeding ground for bacteria if not cleaned regularly.
Read on to find out how often you should change your shower curtain and other things you need to know about this small accessory in your bathroom.
If you have an old shower curtain, or it starts to smell like mildew or mold, it’s time to get a new one. Even though they are only made of fabric, shower curtains can accumulate bacteria and other germs over time.
How often should you Replace your shower curtain?
We’ve all seen people who have the same shower curtain they’ve had since they moved in—and it’s hard to tell if they’ve even cleaned it since then. But how often should you replace your shower curtain? The general rule of thumb is that you should change your shower curtain about every 6 months – or whenever you notice mildew or mold.
If you have hard water, then you’ll have to clean your shower curtain more often. Hard water leaves mineral deposits, such as calcium and magnesium, which can lead to the growth of mold and mildew. This is why it’s important to keep your shower curtain clean, and to change it more often if you have hard water.
How to Make a Shower Curtain with your own Customization
How to Install Shower Curtain Rod
How to Remove Rust from Shower Curtain Rod
Why is it important to change your shower curtain?
As we just mentioned, shower curtains can get pretty gross over time. The surface area of a regular shower curtain is 72 square feet, this is enough to catch and trap all kinds of dust, grime, and bacteria. Plus, the water in your shower creates the perfect breeding ground for mold, mildew, and bacteria. In fact, you can expect a shower curtain to last anywhere from 6 months to 2 years or so.
If you notice your shower curtain is getting a bit moldy, has a foul smell, or is looking old and worn, it’s time to replace it. You want to make sure you’re keeping your shower clean, and a new shower curtain is a great place to start.
Tips for cleaning and maintaining your shower curtain
Here are some tips to help you clean and maintain your shower curtain – so it lasts longer and stays fresh and clean.
- Hang your shower curtain outside to dry after every use. This will help prevent mold and mildew from growing.
- Wash your shower curtain in hot water with bleach every few months, or after a big event where a lot of people are using it.
- Replace your shower curtain if it gets a tear or rip in it, or after 6 months of continuous use.
- Use a squeegee after every shower to get water off the curtain.
- Make sure your shower hooks are rust-proof, as they come in direct contact with water.
How to find a new shower curtain you’ll love
You want your new shower curtain to be clean and free of germs, but you don’t want it to look boring either. Luckily, there are so many different types of shower curtains out there that you’re bound to find one that you love. Here are a few tips to help you find a new shower curtain that you’ll love.
– First, decide if you want a fabric or vinyl shower curtain. Fabric shower curtains are more aesthetically pleasing, but they are harder to clean. Vinyl shower curtains are easier to clean, but they are less aesthetically pleasing.
– Next, decide if you want a plain shower curtain or one with a design. There are so many different styles and designs out there, you’re bound to find one that you love.
– Finally, make sure to get a shower curtain that fits your shower. Not all shower curtains are the same length, so make sure to measure your shower before buying a new one.
Shower curtains don’t get a lot of attention, but they’re actually a great home hygiene tool. They can trap a lot of bacteria and dust, so it’s important to regularly clean and change them. To keep your shower clean, we recommend that you use a squeegee after every shower to get water off the curtain.
You should also make sure you dry your shower curtain after every use by hanging it outside to dry. You should wash your shower curtain in hot water with bleach every few months, or after a big event where a lot of people are using it.
We hope you liked reading this article and learned how often you should replace your shower curtain. To make sure you’re always cleaning and maintaining your shower properly, follow this advice.
This is Autem Decker. Main Author of ‘TheHomeDigs‘. You may not find her on the list of top 10 contemporary Canadian interior designers, but everyone who knows her says she was born to be an interior designer.
She makes her plan in her head and draws them in her years-old diary with a note in the corner. The way she plays with color and shape amazes us.
Connect Her On – Twitter