A door can leave scuff to the wall without a doorstop. Eventually, the door handle can be damaged by frequent collision with the wall. A doorstop is a great idea to keep your wall as well as the door safe and clean.
A doorstop is not only cheap and available but also easy to install. Once you install a doorstop, you’ll never listen to a door handle slam. So, follow our ultimate guide on How to Install Door Stopper. We covered all types of door stopper installation process.
Different Types of Door Stop Installation Guide:
- How to Install a Fixed Post Doorstop?
- How to Install Hinge Pin Door Stops?
- How to Install Spring Loaded Hinges?
How to Install a Fixed Post Doorstop?
A fixed doorstop requires to prevent the door from being aloof from the wall. It’s used mainly for the slighter door. No matter how it works, it is affordable and durable to save your wall from being dented by the door.
- A doorstop set
- A drill
- Some screws
- A threaded screwdriver
Steps to Install a Fixed Post Doorstop:
- Fixed post doorstop consists of a rigid post along with a rubber pad at one end. The other end is used for affixing in the wall or the baseboard by drilling and threading in a hole.
- Now, collect a quality fixed door stop, a pencil marker, a drill machine and some screws. Use the pencil to mark the point of the baseboard which indicates the edge of the door. Now, mark a second point at least 1.5-inch from the previous point toward the door hinge. Here, always maintain the distance of the two points to avoid punch of the hollo-core door.
- After marking the two points, now make a hole by using a drill of 1/8-inch into the baseboard. The hole will be on the second mark point. After making a hole on the baseboard, now rotate the screw the doorstop with a threaded screw by rotating it clockwise. The doorstop will be tighten when it flushes with the wall. Test the doorstop by opening the door entirely and be confirmed that it doesn’t touches the wall.
How to Install Hinge Pin Door Stops?
Hinge pin door stop is much effective to stop lightweight interior doors. It saves the wall from damaging by frequent swinging of the door. Moreover, it requires less time and effort to install. So, spend a little time on installing the hinge pin door stops and save hours of working to patch the holes in the wall later.
- A screwdriver
- A set of Hinge Pin Door Stops
- A hammer
Steps to Install the Hinge Pin Door Stops:
- At first close the door completely and slide the tip of the screwdriver under the head of the hinge. It’ll be on the upper hinge of the door. Then gaze the hinge pin up and remove it. After that, tap the screwdriver gently to lever the pin up to the point. If the screwdriver doesn’t rotate to tight the pin, use a hammer gently.
- Now, insert the hinge pin into the hole of the door stopper from the above. The pin will extends below of the hole for perfect assembly. Rotate the pin back to the hinge gently. It helps the stopper assemble on the hinge by holding the pin at its place. Now, settle the pin into the hinge by tapping with the hammer gently.
- Once settling the hinge is completed, turn the screw to the rubber bumper which allows the door for maximum angle of swing. The halt place of the door depends on turning level of the screw. The more you turn the screw, the sooner the door halts. However, open the door to test and if anything goes wrong, adjust the setting before finalize and make it whatever you want.
- Remember that, a hinge pin doorstop is more reliable for heavier door whereas a fixed-post doorstop will be reliable for slighter door.
You may read:
How to Install Spring Loaded Hinges?
Spring loaded hinge is a common doorstop for the screen doors. It provides much effective tension for opening and closing the door without slamming. Also, it requires completely different method from other hinges when you want to change the doorstop.
- A spring loaded hinge set
- Drill machine
- A pencil
Steps to Install the Spring Loaded Hinge:
- At first place the hinge in the right place against the surface. The hinge must be 10-inch away from the top as well as from the bottom of the door. So, trace the point by using a scale before installing the hinge.
- After fix the point, then use a chisel to create a cut deep enough for the hinge. Hence, you can use a hammer to tap on it. As the hinge comes with different parts altogether, it requires an indent on the surface.
- Now, use a pencil to mark the point on the surface to fix he screws. The points will make it easier to drill a pilot hole for installation the hinge.
- Once the points are fixed accurately on the surface, place the hinge on the location. After placing the hinge, attach the faceplate in such a way that the spring loaded hinge come with screws to tighten.
- Check again the faceplate as it places on the surface right-way and then tighten the screws through the faceplate. The installation is completed and open the door to check it if touches to wall or not.
Pro Tips to Install The Doorstop
- Always set the maximum travel of the door for more than 90 degrees.
- Use a door closer to the existing door to close and latch automatically.
- Buy the hinge set with at least two screws to get tightened with the surface.
- Always try a single hinge on a single door. However, if you use multiple hinges in a door, adjust each of them at on degree at a time to make them work equally.
Doorstop is a much-needed element to keep your wall clean and safe. So, always try to install a sturdy and durable hinge which has enough tension to prevent much power and sudden-opening. Also, use a single doorstop for each door.
This is Autem Decker. Main Author of ‘TheHomeDigs‘. You may not find her on the list of top 10 contemporary Canadian interior designers, but everyone who knows her says she was born to be an interior designer.
She makes her plan in her head and draws them in her years-old diary with a note in the corner. The way she plays with color and shape amazes us.
Connect Her On – Twitter